If I have to be honest, I expect gravy to have a rich full-bodied flavour and to be packed full of umami. If you have ever tried to make a plant-based gravy yourself, I’m sure you already know how challenging it can be to get a properly balanced sauce that also has enough flavour to make you happy. Well, in this case we’ve done our best to combine the most savoury of the vegan ingredients in order to obtain a decadent and powerful gravy, which I’m sure you’ll love.
- Chop all the vegetables into small pieces.
- Place a pan over a medium heat, tip in the diced vegetables, the bay leaf torn into piece and stir. Cook the vegetables until you see they start colouring slightly.
- Add in the sugar, the tomato paste and the miso paste, and stir once again. Then, pour in the stock, the vinegar, the soy sauce, and the flour if you are using a cold stock. If you using hot stock, mix the flour with some cold water before adding it to the pan.
- Add the rest of the herbs and stir them in. Bring the liquid to a boil and reduce it until it becomes of your ideal consistency (roughly five or six minutes.)
- Strain the vegetables to separate them from the sauce and adjust salt if desired before serving.
Preparation Time: 10m
Cooking Time: 5m
Total Time: 15m
Storage Times: Keeps for 3 days in the fridge