If there is something we really like, it has to be Indian food! Not that we mind any other kind of cuisine, but those mixtures of spices are just so different from our food culture that they always end up being a huge hit at our table. This recipe is about dal, a delicious and popular lentil preparation that I’m pretty sure will blow your mind. If you have even the slightest passion for Indian food, then you definitely should try this recipe, as it is quite unique.
- Cook the split peas as instructed on the packet. We like to soak them for roughly 40 minutes and to cook them for 30-40 minutes.
- Finely slice the onion, the garlic and the ginger.
- Place a pot over a medium heat, pour in some water and add in the onions, the garlic and the ginger. Stir well to combine and sweat the vegetables until the onions are soft and translucent. If you notice your vegetables are about to burn, make sure to add a little more water.
- Add in all the spices and stir well to combine.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir once again to incorporate it. Here is the recipe for our Italian tomato sauce, but you can use any tomato sauce you prefer.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer before adding the last ingredient, which are the previously prepared lentils. Stir in the lentils and bring to a simmer once again.
- Cook the ingredient for 5 minutes over the lowest heat to complete the dish. Remember to taste the dal and adjust salt if necessary.