So what do you do when you want a comforting side dish with no fat? When you want something where a crunchy coating gives way to reveal flawlessly fluffy potato? Well, if you’re on a quest for such a food, this video is about to change your life. Like so many of our recipes, our delicious potato croquettes are fat-free, so you’re witnessing the creation of an awesomely indulgent yet very healthy food. The flavour and crispness of the seasoned coating that turns a beautiful golden colour when cooking will seal the deal. Before you can say ‘Help me, I’m a croquette addict’, this dish will become a firm favourite in your side dish repertoire.
- Finely dice the shallot and the garlic. Finely chop the chives and set it aside.
- Take a saucepan, add in some water and bring it to a boil. Tip in the shallots and the garlic and cook them until they are soft and the water is completely evaporated.
- Place the cooked potatoes into a bowl and mash them thoroughly with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are thoroughly mashed, add in the nutmeg, the nutritional yeast, the chives, the pepper and the cooked vegetables. Stir the ingredients well with a fork to complete the mixture. Also make sure to taste the mixture and adjust salt if you feel it is needed.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with your favourite spices. We used chilli powder and smoked paprika. Preheat the oven to 220°C (430°F).
- Mould a piece of the potato mixture into your preferred shape, coat it in breadcrumbs and place it onto an oven tray ready to be baked. Repeat the process until the batter is finished.
- Place the tray in the preheated oven and bake the croquettes for 20 minutes, making sure to rotate the tray half way through the cooking time to allow for even browning.
Preparation Time: 15m
Cooking Time: 30m
Total Time: 45m
Cooking Temperature: 220°C - 430°F